Tuesday, May 9, 2017

#9 - Simple Twist of Fate

Nathaniel was working with Banks at Jimmy's, the overcast growing. The radio was mumbling out the news.
"Yeah, well, he's not gotten that much better, but it could be a lot worse, I guess," said Banks about Michael's piano playing.
"Practice makes perfect," chuckled Nathaniel, putting up the newest books from shipment.
"How's your art coming along?" he asked.
"Oh, well, it's going good, actually. I've got more people who want to see my stuff- Some guy from a big city called me earlier this morning."
"Neat! It's good that you're getting somewhere."
"Wait," Banks walked over to the radio. "Don't a Sep and Chambly live in Winthrop Place?"
"Maybe. I don't know most of 'em."
"Last night, at 1:45 AM," the radio announced, "Caverly was driving his car when he accidentally struck Maralise. It is suspected that Maralise was sleep deprived, and unable to move out of the way of Caverly's vehicle. Both lived in Winthrop Place."

Nathaniel was walking through town when Beck called.
"Hey," Nathaniel answered.
"Hey, man. How are you?"
"I'm doing good. How about you?"
"I'm doing better, I think. Want to go to the Karnival Diner and catch up? It's been a while, sorry."
"Nah, no, that's fine. Just things have been changing, man. How does tomorrow morning sound?"
"Yeah, that sounds good. Also... isn't it pouring outside?"
"Yeah," Nathaniel laughed, "but you know me. I find peace in the rain."

He stood in the park, the stone cold statue standing over. The rest of town was illuminating in the black, the rain going down softly.
He did not know Sep or Chambly. He didn't know their lives, their dreams, or their regrets. He didn't know what they may have been thinking.
He did know, however, that each and every one of them shared two things: the passing of life and the halt of death.

I suppose that, really, it all comes down to a simple twist of fate.


No comments:

Post a Comment